b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Asher again

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Asher again
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 23:16:23 +0300

Uzi,

While anything is possible, the olive tree that I assume you're referring to
as Asher's symbol is a rabbinic reconstruction, based on Asher's blessing by
both Jacob and Moses, both of which mention "oil", presumably olive oil. I
don't know that the asherah-tree had anything to do with olive-oil in
particular.

Yigal Levin