b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Hebrew orthographical practices in light of epigraphy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Hebrew orthographical practices in light of epigraphy
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 18:04:40 -0700

Yitzhak:

Apparently you didn’t read my responses, neither to Jim Stinehard nor as a
response to the moderators’ call for suggestions: I have now made it a
policy for myself that if a message extends to more than two to three
screens on my computer, I would neither read it nor respond to it. This
message from you extended five screens, therefore I didn’t read it.

But on a more general note, you have made certain claims concerning the
development of spelling in Biblical Hebrew, but you have yet to give any
examples to back up your claims. I am not asking for complete books, nor
even complete chapters, just an image or two that would demonstrate your
claims. Stoney is right, publishing a complete book, chapter or even page is
copyright violation, but publishing an image with your own commentary is
fair use, i.e. allowed. I suspect you don’t have any Hebrew examples, only
those from cognate languages; those I have already rejected for reasons
already given. I have photographs of both the Gezar calendar and the Siloam
inscription, neither of which back up your claims. So which Hebrew
inscriptions are there that do support your claims?