b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] “First Year Lies” was Re: Ruth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] “First Year Lies” was Re: Ruth
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 13:31:00 +0300

Thankfully, I wasn't fed any of these first year lies. It was made clear to
me from the beginning that the Hebrew verb system is debate in progress. It
was made clear to me that the construct doesn't always behave itself. I was
taught to use the rule of thumb of two nouns side by side behaving
functionally like a construct and told this would be a better guide than
concentrating on form. I was also told about the variable sentence order and
the exceptions in plurals. I was also told that Massoretic points are late,
we cannot be sure of their pronunciation let alone the original pronuciation
and that they are sometime demonstrably wrong. I was also told that at
certain points in the transmission of manuscripts there were no spaces in
between words and that sometimes words are divided wrong because of copyist
errors where the copyist did not guess right how to divide the words. I was
also made aware of a range of general types of copyist errors.

All things considered I guess I had a pretty good teacher.

James Christian