b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] “First Year Lies” was Re: Ruth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] “First Year Lies” was Re: Ruth
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 02:09:32 -0700

Barry:

What I was taught in class : what I found in Tanakh

Hebrew sytax, verb first in sentence : verb any place in the sentence
Masculine plural, always end -YM : sometimes the yod is missing

And in this specific case, that where two nouns are in construct, when the
second noun is plural in a context where the first noun should also
logically be plural (e.g. the soldiers’ feet) then the grammar follows the
logic, i.e. the first noun is also a plural, but what I found is that the
first noun is sometimes singular.

As for the Qatal and Yiqtol, I was told that some thought them to be tenses
as in English, other aspect as in Russian, but neither are correct. Here I’m
thrust into the unknown, as none of the models predicated on Indo-European
languages fits what I read daily.

I was taught in class that the Masoretic points were correct, I stopped
using them because I found they are sometimes wrong as far as *meaning* is
concerned, let alone that there is no way they can be an accurate rendition
of Biblical era pronunciation. Further, I think many of the minutia found in
Hebrew grammars are there to explain misunderstandings caused by wrong
pointing.

Your question has me rattling the memory banks to try to recall other
lessons from my first year of class that I had to forget when reading
Tanakh, but it’s been well over a decade since I last had a Hebrew grammar
in my hand, and I truly have forgotten those lessons.

As for which Hebrew text to begin with? I am tempted to have students just
start with Genesis within a few weeks of starting first year class, starting
with the first chapter. Get the students used to reading the text, teaching
the grammar along with the text. Even though I attended one year of college
Hebrew, that is basically how I learned Hebrew. I mean, really learned
Hebrew, how it is really used instead of the way it was presented in class.

Karl W. Randolph.