b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 22:18 (was: Masoretic vowels -a good starting point )

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 22:18 (was: Masoretic vowels -a good starting point )
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 04:35:38 +0300

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 3:34 AM, Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:07 PM, Randall Buth wrote:
>
>> The reading brought up of Ps 22:18 strikes me strange. yar'ey
>> bi is not a smooth reading (smixut+preposition-- while possible,
>> it is not the expected preposition with yare, as if 'fearers of-because
>> -of-me'), while the idiom with yir'u bi "they will see their victory over
>> me" is classic. Anyway, like the 'reading ability' mentioned with
>> scrambled English, I would probably even read a Qumran text
>> that appeared to be y.r.'.y. b.y as yir'u bi because y and w in the
>> Qumran script are notoriously interchanged. It reminds me of how I
>> read the newspaper without bothering to put on glasses. d and r,
>> b and k blur in my eyesight, but I just read the text anyway. Most
>> of the time one doesn't need to re-read or re-look, or get one's
>> glasses.
>
> Images of the fragment are available on the internet due to its
> proximity to Ps 22:17, which is a heavy point of debate.
>
> Here are two:
> http://www.errancywiki.com/index.php?title=Psalms_22:16&redirect=no
>
> Karl apparently doesn't see that the Waw connects with the Aleph
> and is therefore longer.  Note that the Aleph's left leg has a "serif"
> going to the right and down, unlike all other Alephs...
>
> I don't know why you give Karl the benefit that yr)y by is possible.
> I do not see how it is possible at all.

shalom Yitzhak,

thank you for the ms reference/picture.
I was not referring to the DS manuscript but to general Hebrew
structure.

It is possible to read (that is, 'to interpret')
a smixut noun on a prepositional phrase, as in the phrase
e.g., kol Hosey-bo 'all refuge-finders-of-in-him'.

However, while the structure is possible, the semantics are NOT
a good reading, since only ra'a "he saw" normallly takes a b-
preposition for its object, and that for a specific idiom meaning to
'boast in victory over'. Consequently, without even looking at the
manuscript, I would read this as hemma yabbiTu, yir'u vi
'they will watch, they will gloat over me in victory'
(or some such similar English). And even if the yod
and vav were not clear in that particular manuscript,
I would read it that way. Reading handwriting is partially by what
is written and partially by what makes sense. Every letter in
a handwritten text does not need to be clear, as we prove everyday
in any language when we scribble off a note to someone.

PS: I also renamed the thread because these comments do not
refer to the issue of using the MT vowels for internalization a
dialect of Hebrew, but refers to a specific reading of Psalm 22:18.

Randall Buth