b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] anything about Amarna

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <JimStinehart AT aol.com>, <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] anything about Amarna
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 07:49:07 -0700

Dear Jim,

[Jim Stineheart]
the whole key to figuring this whole thing out is precisely n-o-t to “use
internal biblical evidence”!

[Bryant]
The first factor in Biblical exegesis is to look at the "internal evidence."
The second factor is to look for any genre indicators: prose, in this case.
The third factor is to look at the overall context.
The fourth factor is to at the various keywords, phrases, sentences,
paragraphs,
chapters, etc. for patterns, etc.

Once the above is done, then look for any evidence within the corpus, e.g.
later
comments about the text from other portions of the Hebrew canon/text.

The one looks at the external evidences in archaeology. Is there
correspondence
or not? If there is great, if not, then one must accept that one's hypothesis
is
either wrong, go back to the drawing board or create a new hypothesis that
fits
the EXISTING evidence. Let the evidence lead.

Now, even then, the evidence may be so scant that it would be wise not to hang
one's theory on that evidence. Since what we know of the EBA, MBA, and LBA is
scant, it is unwise to postulate a theory on such a small thread unless there
is
something that gives credence to the theory in first place. I might add that
one's theory could be correct, but if one's theory is based on looking in the
wrong century, then it is worthless (Genesis 14 would be situated in the 21st
Century BC = EBA).

Now, concerning the Amarna Letters, it appears that they were written in the
late 15th century - to early 14th century BC. This would correspond to the
time
of the conquest of Joshua, 1407 - 1400 BC and the early Israelite settlements
in
the hill country and foothills of Canaan.

BTW, you have bought in to the discredited dating of the Pentateuch by these
so-called "university professors." Furthermore, just because the "generally"
accepted dating of the composition of Genesis 14 is considered LBA (according
you which I do not accept), does not mean that the events recorded occurred in
the LBA.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III