b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Masoretic vowels -a good starting point.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Masoretic vowels -a good starting point.
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 11:14:12 -0700

Garth:

Any analogy to physical objects will be less than perfect. However, I think
the analogy to training wheels on a bicycle is not far from how I used the
points.

For those who are interested in the development and history of the language,
the points remain valuable. For those more interested in meaning, the points
can actually be a hindrance as they are wrong often enough as to mislead
people. How many of the consonantal emendations are suggested by the points,
when apart from the points, the consonantal text makes sense most of the
time?

This is not to claim that the consonantal text is perfect. As in any human
effort, copyist errors have crept in. For example, Psalm 22:18 I noticed המה
יביטו יראו בי HMH YBY+W YR)W BY that, when I looked at it, concluded that
the יראו YR)W should read יראי YR)Y. When I got a photograph of the Nahal
Hever scrap with part of Psalm 22, one of the first things I did was to look
at that verse, and I found יראי YR)Y. However, these consonantal emendations
are far fewer.

One of the things that influenced me in reading without points is the fact
that synagog scrolls are without points.

I don’t know anyone on this list who recommends that the MT points be
totally ignored, but at the same time I don’t think they are to be slavishly
followed either.

Karl W. Randolph.