b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Masoretic vowels -a good starting point.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Garth Grenache <garthgrenache AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Masoretic vowels -a good starting point.
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 19:45:12 +1000

Dear all,

A couple of writers on this group make frequent denials about the validity of
the Masoretic vowels. In the midst of a sensible discussion they interject
that what is being said cannot be known because the vowel points are not
reliable and should be removed from the text. Is this a sensible conclusion?

Though they come from a reading tradition, and though there may be various
interpretations of that tradition, the Masoretic points are one (imperfect)
preservation of that tradition. The Samaritan reading tradition is another.
Hebrew names and writings in Greek are another. Babylonian pointing is
another.

My suggestion is that the Masoretic vowel points -to anyone who doesn't live
in Biblical times of the 1st Millennium AD -that's you and me and everyone
here- are a better starting point than an unvocalised text. If we keep in
mind that the vowel points were added, and we are open to *sensible
emendations brought forth with evidence from other known reading traditions*
then I suggest we will go well.

In plainer words to the point-rejectors> If you don't have a better evidenced
suggestion about what the pronunciation or meaning of the discussed passage,
then your rejection of the Masoretic points adds nothing of value to the
discussion.

To the others who have to deal with point-rejectors> Challenge them: "How
are you reading it and what evidence do you have from the other traditions to
support your reading? Or are you just being argumentative without evidence?"

I greatly affirm Yitzhak Sapir's words:
"There is nothing scholarly or critical about ignoring the vowels. Nor is it
an issue that the Masoretes couldn't all unanimously agree what that
tradition was. The issue is complex. There are several traditions, all
relevant and authentic. A proper scholarly approach is actually to make use
of the wealth of information and slowly reconstruct the tradition back based
on the existing representatives. Furthermore, the best way to analyze the
text critically is to clearly understand the vowels. Only with expertise in
the vocalization (or, better yet, different vocalization systems in addition
to the well-documented Tiberian system) can you consider alternatives."

Being sceptical isn't scholarly. Making faithful use of all available data:
that is scholarly.

Also, if you are claiming descent from one of the lost tribes: so what? The
lost tribes have not preserved the faith of Israel or the texts or reading
traditions of their Scriptures: they are lost and 'not My people'. Those who
return to Him and become His people have no Hebrew Bible except that which is
preserved by Jews(MT, LXX, etc.) and Samaritans(Sam.Pent.). Just because I
am of Israelite blood doesn't mean I can put the right vowels on the Hebrew
Bible! If I've got a suggestion that the Masoretic points are wrong for a
particular passage, let me bring EVIDENCE, or be utterly ignored in any
scholarly discussion!

Garth Grenache,
Australia.

View photos of singles in your area! Looking for a hot date?
http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/150855801/direct/01/