b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] El-Paran

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] El-Paran
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 00:59:01 +0300

Hi Jim,

1) please stop harping on about the Gulf of Aqaba. I think just about
everybody who has participated in this discussion thinks that a Gulf of
Aqaba theory is ridiculous. If it makes you feel better write to the
'university scholars' who support such a ridiculous theory and have a go at
them. There is nobody in need of convincing here.

2) I think you must mean pistacia palestina which is related to pistacia
terabinthus and not oak tree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistacia_palaestina

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistacia_palaestina>In any case the reference
to the one tree in LXX is definitely in the singular. Just what exactly you
would find difficult about one Pistacia palaestina being found in an Oasis
is completely beyond me. People live where there is water (underground or
overground). Where there is water there are trees. I can take you to a
number of places in the Sinai delta where you would not believe the fauna
and flora that can grow near an Oasis.

3) We are not entirely sure how to translate this word which it seems likely
could even be a misreading of the Hebrew text. If we are to trust your
Google search then this may have been referring to a palm tree. Fancy that!
A palm tree in a desert oasis! Hardly surprising enough a find to need to
relocate Edom, the Salt Sea and numerous other locations.

James Christian