b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] El-Paran

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, George.Athas AT moore.edu.au
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] El-Paran
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 18:31:13 +0300

Hi Jim,

tereminthos does not mean Oak tree. It refers to the Pistacia Pelaestina
most likely. Oak is a poor translation that you are likely to find in KJV et
al. Alon means Oak. Tereminthos does not.

As for your opinion that the wilderness of Zin is utter desolation did you
even bother to look at the satellite images I sent you. Seing these oasis
first hand is a completely different experience. You would not believe the
herbs, fruits and vegetables that can be cultivated in these places. Just a
few weeks ago I drank a mint tea made from freshly plucked mint not in an
full scale Oasis but in a 10 square metre plot of a Bedouine family at the
foot of Gebel Musa. The Feran Oasis is by far more impressively cultivated
with flowers of all kinds and colours to be seen. You really are belittling
things that you evidently have not seen. Your description of 'a few lowly
acacias and a few palm trees' is way of the mark. You really should go and
visit these places if you are serious about your theory.

James Christian