b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] El-Paran

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] El-Paran
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 18:15:59 +0300

Jim.

both the LXX and the vulgate support an understanding of El-Paran being a
place in the desert.

ἕως τῆς τερεμίνθου τῆς *φαραν ἥ ἐστιν ἐν τῇ ἐρήμῳ
ad campestria Pharan quae est in solitudine

Also I don't know what your source for translation of tereminthos is but the
Vulgate quite clearly shows an understanding of 'plains of Pharan'.

Also, just a couple of weeks ago I trod many of the places the bible refers
to as MDBR, what you translate as marginal pasture land. They look very much
like desert to me. Although, yes, you are right, they do have a few blades
of grass in them that the livestock of the local Bedouine regularly chew on.
I don't think this warrants your proposed translation, though. If we were to
take a random sample of native speakers of English show them these places
and ask them to spontaneously categorise the panorama I'm placing my bets
that they would call them deserts rather than 'marginal pasture land'.

James Christian