b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Donald Vance <donaldrvance AT mac.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14:6
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 00:13:25 +0300

I don't know how much you value the LXX or its translators but what its
worth here is their translation:

ἐν τοῖς ὄρεσιν *σηιρ

The translators evidently felt justified in translating with a plural of
mountains and seem to also have understood a construct form. The essence of
the construct state is that it expresses a genitive relationship between the
two nouns in the construct. That is to say it usually indicates some form of
possession with the first known being the object that is owned and the
second being the owner. This is basically the way I interpret this phrase
i.e. in the mountains of Seir.

If there is any other logical way of translating this phrase given the
context then please offer it so that we can consider it. As a good rule of
thumb if you see two nouns next to each other they are in construct.
Splitting hairs over issues of accent and the like just doesn't cut it.
There is no other way of interpretting this clause.

Karl has offered one possibility but this too involves a construct
understanding. If there is any logical way of understanding this phrase
other than a construct understanding then please offer it with a translation
that reflects. Otherwise, I will not be able to see any good reason for
abandoning a construct interpretation.

James Christian