b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14:6
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 08:43:55 -0700

I agree with James that it is a construct. But I disagree on which words are
in the construct.

HRRM is used only once in Tanakh, in this place. If it is a normal noun with
a suffix, I agree with George that this cannot be accurate. But if it is a
name, then it is possible to have its form in the construct. In fact,
because it is in the construct, that is one of the reasons I claim that it
is a name and not a noun followed by a suffix.

If a name, it can be a combination of two or more words. One possibility is
HR RM (high mountain) of the land of Seir. Another possibility is that it is
not a Semitic name.

There are other names used in the construct, i.e. a site name followed by a
district name. Examples include Bethlehem Ephrata to distinguish it from
other places named Bethlehem, and Qadesh Barnea to distinguish it from two
other places named Qadesh mentioned in Tanakh. So here I see two proper
nouns in construct, one a city name, one a district name.

I think both of you need to expand your possibilities—James that we are
dealing with proper nouns, and George that this is in the construct state.

Karl W. Randolph.