b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Donald Vance <donaldrvance AT mac.com>
  • To: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14:6
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 11:52:44 -0500

James,
Whether it is a construct is nor a question of how one would translate it. The "status conctructus" is a state of a substantive wherein the accent is lost (moved to the last word of the chain for all practical purposes) and every syllable is treated as distant (vowels reduce to schwa if the syllable is open and stay short if the syllable is closed--long only if an unchangeably long) and a construct ending is applied (if m pl or f s). Since HRRM ends in either a m pl absolute ending or with a 3 m pl genitive suffix (making HRR status pronominalis--forgive the butchered Latin), it cannot be in the construct state by definition. As for translation, "mountains, Seir" if we go with a plural understanding, or "their mountain(s), Seir" if we go with a gen. sx.

None of my comments should be interpreted as endorsing Jim's views. I simply objected to the condescending tone in your post and in those of Jim and Karl, for that matter. Is that really necessary?

Sent from my iPhone

Donald R. Vance
donaldrvance AT mac.com