b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Scope of data – infinitive absolute

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Scope of data – infinitive absolute
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:29:37 -0700

Randall:

I forgot, there’s another option, namely that the author of the Qumran
document may have deliberately misused the phrase as shorthand to refer to a
complete idea. Today’s shorthand is to name book, chapter and verse, which
was not available to the Qumran community and time period. I have seen a few
examples that show this interpretation.

Even with this interpretation, it still does not support your theory that a
stand alone infinitive structure used in place of a finite verb existed in
Biblical Hebrew.

> --
> Randall Buth, PhD
> www.biblicalulpan.org
> randallbuth AT gmail.com
> Biblical Language Center
>
> Karl W. Randolph.

Ps: Why do all your postings start a new thread?