b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] tob in Genesis 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Petr Tomasek" <tomasek AT etf.cuni.cz>, "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] tob in Genesis 1
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:34:50 -0800

Dear Petr,

Let us speak to what the text says not to what "supposed sources" are that
cannot be proved one way or the other.

TOB in TWOT, Vol. 1, pp. 345 - 346, indicates five areas of meaning:
1) practical, economic, or material good,
2) abstract goodness such as desirability, pleasantness, and beauty,
3) quality or expense
4) moral goodness,
5) technical philosophical sense.

I would take the use of TOB in Genesis 1, since it is an adjective here (1:4,
10, 12, 18, 21, 25 & 31) as referring to the idea of qualitativeness. The
remark
of, "it is good" is the description that God gives to that part of creation of
each day with "very good" being given for the sixth day as a description of
the
results of the Creation of Man and Woman (Genesis 2 is merely a more detailed
description of that 6th day). Thus, TOB "good" = perfect.

Genesis 2:9 (2x), 12 are used in a moral and qualitative/descriptive uses;
while, 2:18 is more of a qualitative use, because it is a judgement of God
about
the singleness of man ('Adam), not a moral judgement.

See also Nelson's Expository Dictionary of the Old Testament, pp. 162-164; A
Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament, pp. 99-100. I do not have access to
TDOT.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III