b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] tob in Genesis 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Petr Tomasek <tomasek AT etf.cuni.cz>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] tob in Genesis 1
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 07:09:07 +0100

> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am doing my research on the meaning of tob in Genesis. It makes me
> > confuse whether tob is comprising the moral as well as the functional
> > component. Kindly advise, your contribution is much appreciated.
> >
> > regards,hh
> > cheechen
> >

> > Tob טוב in Genesis 1 could be understood as morally neutral, as it was in
> context where there was no immorality. That came later. Therefore, when God
> mentioned that everything he had made was exceedingly pleasing, he referred
> to the functional aspect.

That's totally nonsense, Karl, the Genesis 1 (BTW, I don't know if
cheechen ask just about the first chapter!) is a "preamble" to the
Torah and as such it reinteprets old babylonian myths in legalistic
(halakhic) terms. So your pseudohistorical reading of it is totally
unapropriate.

--
Petr Tomasek <http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek>
Jabber: butrus AT jabbim.cz