b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14: 7 Translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14: 7 Translation
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:03:34 -0800

George:

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 8:12 PM, George Athas
<George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>wrote:

> Correction: The Amarna Letters are dated to the 14th century BC.
>
> GEORGE ATHAS
> Moore Theological College (Sydney, Australia)
> www.moore.edu.au

That is why I said “archeology” and not “history”. While I have not read
them myself, other commenters (including those who attempt to maintain the
date you mentioned) recognize that the letters do not reflect 14th century
BC Levant as revealed by archeology, rather they reflect a date centuries
later, namely Iron Age ninth to eighth centuries BC.

This is getting off topic, so that’s all I’ll say here.