b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14: 7 Translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 14: 7 Translation
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:13:45 -0800

Oy veh! Another book trying to place a pre-Exodus event to a historical
period that is archeologically placed long after the Exodus. Archeology
places the Tell Amarna letters to Iron Age ninth to eighth centuries BC.
Abraham lived a millennium earlier.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 8:02 AM, <jimstinehart AT aol.com> wrote:

> 1. W Y$BW
> “And then they returned” [meaning in context: “And then they returned
> (to the Ashteroth area)”]
>
> The context says nothing of the sort.

> 2. W YB)W )L
> “and passed by”

Learn Hebrew before posting such elementary linguistic errors.

> … (See #5 below for why it is very important that the text
> tells us that this military force passed by Qadesh, that is, Qadesh of
> Upper Galilee.)

Numbers 33:36–7 places Qadesh south and east of Moab, i.e. south of the Dead
Sea.

> 5. QD$
> “Qadesh [of Upper Galilee]”
>
> Duh! See above.

> 11. H )MRY
> “the Amorites”
>
> The meaning is clear, but somehow people seem to forget that the Amorites
> never are historically attested as far south as the Negev. Rather, the
> Amorites are associated particularly with Lebanon. Of great relevance
> here,
> Amarna Letter EA 175 tells us that the ruler of Hasi in the northern Bekka
> Valley was an Amorite.

That is because you willingly ignore the fact that the EA letters were
written during the Iron Age, long after Israel had driven the Amorites out
of the south under the leadership first of Moses, later of Joshua.

> 13. XCC-N
> “Hasi” [or Hizzin or Hazezon]
>
> In a Bronze Age geographical place name, we know from the mid-15th century
> BCE Thutmose III list

Archeology places Thutmose III no earlier than late tenth century BC Iron
Age. People have been pointing out that the Egyptian history does not match
with archeology for over a half century, and you still persist in that
fiction? C’mon!

> * * *
>
> The pinpoint historical accuracy of Genesis 14: 7, as translated and
> understood above, is absolutely stunning.

I laughed out loud.

> Jim Stinehart
> Evanston, Illinois
>
> Jim, this group was set up to discuss the language of the Hebrew Bible. You
come on trying to push a private historical theory instead. In the process,
you twist the language. Once again you have shown that you don’t know
Hebrew.

Good fiction induces its audience to suspend disbelief long enough to tell
its story. Your story aimed at this audience is so fantastical that it
doesn’t reach the level of good fiction.

You have been repeatedly requested to start your own blog to push your
theories. Why don’t you do it?