b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 Tohu Bohu

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 Tohu Bohu
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 08:43:15 -0800

Richard:

There was a discussion on this very topic a few years ago (I started it)
where I questioned the historic translation that תהו THW means “formless”.
At that time I pointed out that physical objects have form. To go a step
further, carefully fashioned idols have form (Isaiah 41:29, 44:9) while the
earth is not created lifeless, but to be settled (Isaiah 45:18). From
looking at all occurrences, I came to the conclusion that תהו THW means
“lifeless, as in uninhabited”.

Not everyone agreed with me.

As for your second question, the context of the Hebrew text indicates that
verse 2 describes the original condition of the earth that God had just
created, mentioned in verse 1.

As for your theological question, if you wish you can contact me off list,
as here I limit myself to the linguistic and literary structure of the
Hebrew language.

Karl W. Randolph.