b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew characters

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew characters
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:58:20 +0200

Hi Benj,

The B-Hebrew list does not have a mandatory transliteration scheme, and
different people use different systems as they see fit. This is fine with
the moderators, as long as we all understand each other. However, the most
precise system for transcribing the consonantal text is one by which every
Hebrew letter has one single equivalent sign, in characters that we know
that every email program will recognize:

) aleph

x het

+ tet

( 'ayin