b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Translating Ehyeh (Exodus 3:14)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Translating Ehyeh (Exodus 3:14)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 08:01:20 +0100

Dear Karl,
At writing my mail I was thinking and intended to speak about the common
grammar sense or basic meaning of )HYH, namely the general pattern of verbs
lamed"heh (or lamed"yod if one prefers to say so) as concerns their Qal
Imperfect, first person singular (common).

This is clear, for instance, in Ex 4:12: "I will be", where the Vulgate
translates this word literally: "ego *ero*" = I will be.

Hearty,

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)