b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Understanding Exodus 20:7 was adonai "my Lord" or "the Lord"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Understanding Exodus 20:7 was adonai "my Lord" or "the Lord"
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:01:35 -0800

Dear List,

I am thinking that this thread should change the subject heading to:
Understanding Exodus 20:7.

The reason for the change is that the central tenet amongst all the responses
is
how to understand the 3rd Commandment,
"You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain; for the LORD
will
not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain"(cf also Deut 5:11; RSV).

It also appears that God told the Israelites not to make a covenant with the
nations of Canaan including their behavior and religious worship (Exod
34:11ff;
Lev 18:1-22:33; et al). Thus, it seems that whole issue behind the
prohibitions
of the 3rd Commandment and other passages was that the nation of Israel was to
be totally different, unique, or separated from the abominable practices and
set
apart to God. This involved the total person in what he thought, said and did.

How was the 3rd Commandment interpreted not only in Biblical Hebrew period,
but
after the exile, through the 2nd Temple period, and post-Temple until today?

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III