b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Translating Ehyeh (Exodus 3:14)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Translating Ehyeh (Exodus 3:14)
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 08:53:17 -0800

Pere:

I would have to disagree with you. The Hebrew verb does not indicate
temporal information, rather modal, in this case, volitional.

I would translate this as “I am that I am” with a note explaining that the
actual translation would be a present tense “I will be that I will be” where
“will” indicates volition, not tense; indicating that God is Lord and that
there is no one who puts restrictions on him. Therefore we are to dance to
his tune, not ours.

As for Ruth 2:13, again I read those as present tense verbs, not future. The
yiqtol verbs in the sentences are subordinate to the qatal verbs.

Karl W. Randolph.