b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:6 & Saadia Gaon's interpretation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ishinan" <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:6 & Saadia Gaon's interpretation
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 20:55:21 -0500

Proverbs, chapter 5, is about the warning of succumbing to a prostitute, at least this is Sa`iyd bin Yuwsuf al-Fayyuwmiy's interpretation. In this chapter the warning does not deal in generalities about the ways of life, but rather it is specifically aimed at the consequences of interaction with a prostitute, or a woman who is a stranger (period). The climax of chapter 5 is reached in verses 8-10 with a warning of the loss of one's honor if one seeks the door of a whore and endangering one's wealth to be siphoned mercilessly by strangers.

Al-Fayyuwmiy (b. Egypt 882-d. Baghdad 942) AKA Saadia Gaon is considered the most important medieval scholar of Hebrew literature and history. As the founder of Judeo-Arabic literature he is the first important rabbinic figure to write extensively in Arabic. His interpretation, and his Arabic translation, of the old Testament is today the base of all Arabic translations of the Bible.

As a means of popular religious enlightenment, Saadia's translation presented the Scriptures in a rational form which aimed at the greatest possible degree of clearness and consistency. One special feature introduced by Saadia's were informative subtitles to all chapters. For example :

Proverbs Chapter 4 deals with pearls of Paternal wisdom addressed to a son

Proverbs Chapter 5 deals with a warning about seeking the company of prostitutes.

Proverbs Chapter 6 deals with marital life and its responsibilities

Further, Saadia's Arabic translation of the Bible is of importance as it takes its place beside the Aramaic and the Greek Bible-translations of antiquity, the Latin Vulgate, etc. Side by side these translations do not always agree. As the message is translated from one language to another it eventually suffers distortions. Because the position assigned to Saadia in the oldest list of Hebrew grammarians has not been challenged even by the latest historical investigations, his version of the translated Bible is of high importance in this respect, and it is used to verify other translations of the Old Testament.

If anyone is interested in Saadia's verbatim interpretation of verse 5 in Arabic, along with my annotations in English (scanned JEPG), please contact me off the list and I'll be more than happy to oblige. Just give me 24 hours for the turn around.

Best regards

Ishinan Ishibashi