b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:6
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 19:18:42 -0700

Dave:

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:12 PM, <dwashbur AT nyx.net> wrote:

> Karl,
> How would you translate it then? I can't get any real sense out of "turn
> she considers the
> way of life."
>
> It sort of looks to me like PN here is being used as a synonym of L),
> "not," though why this would be the case I haven't a clue.
>
> Dave Washburn
>
> http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur

ארח חיים The traveler’s way of life
(traveler’s way indicates long distance traveling)
פן lest face (turn towards)
תפלס she levels you should level
(used of making actions quick and easy to do)
נעו its traveling
מעגלתיה her tracks
לא תדע she does not know you should not know

Often people consider the left column, with the “lest” and the third person
singular feminine verbs, while I wonder if the right column makes more
sense?

“Lest she should level the traveling the way of life, she should not know
her tracks.”

“Face the way of life, you should level its traveling; you should not know
her tracks.”

The upper one I have trouble making sense out of it. The lower one gives a
contrast between the way of life and her tracks, which seems to make sense
in the context.

Or are there other options?