b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Qohelet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Qohelet
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:32:46 -0700 (PDT)

  Dear Rolf,
  The opposition to the the evidence about diachronic development of BH,at
least in this debate, did not seem take into account the evidence of Hebrew
inscription which have been dated to pre-exilic times. Whether in the Lachish
letters, the Arad material , the Yabneh letter, or many others  smaller
fragments, there is in them no scintilla of evidence of Mishnaic language.

One may bring as a further point, the evidence of dialogue, or direct speech
which authors of many texts within the HB books used in their narrative, such
as "Am I my brther's keeper?" This was done for various reasons, but the
overriding one was to introduce the drama of live conversation. This was done
in the living style familiar to the authors and their hearers or readers.
Again, there is not the slightest trace of what would become Mishnaic
language, such as is obvious in the style of Qohelet.

That the latter is a late book, can be deduced from its content alone.

Uri Hurwitz

( Please do not mix me up with Avi Hurvitz, not a relative )