b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Qohelet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Qohelet
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:39:18 +1000

I totally disagree with you, Karl. Firstly, I'm not arguing that Qohelet is a
parable - it isn't. You're mistaking a genre issue for narrative technique.
Lots of the apocalypses use first person perspective, but they are not aiming
to be parables. Nor, I would argue, are they aiming to fool people by telling
fibs; it's just a creative literary technique. So, yes, the ancient world did
have fictional first person perspectives. I suspect, however, that you will
write them off as 'lies' and therefore not allow them into evidence. If
that's the case, we have nothing further to discuss.

You are proposing that Dan 4 was actually written by Nebuchadnezzar???

And no, Daniel does not describe the Jewish Revolt of the first century, so
that argument doesn't cut it.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au