b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dagesh - a different sound or aspiration?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: "'B-Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dagesh - a different sound or aspiration?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:23:03 +1000

James,
Are you not forgetting that the Jews of Asia and Africa did not have that
much to do with Latin, and their knowledge of Hebrew outside Hebrew itself
has been transmitted through Arabic? The pronunciation schemes used by
Sephardi and Mizrahi Jews owes very little to Greek and I suspect nothing to
Latin. The medieval Hebrew grammarians were very much aware of Arabic
pronunciation and grammar, and that had an impact on their understanding of
Hebrew. I don't think there is much, if any, evidence of them paying
similar attention to Latin and Greek authors. What has come, at least
partly, through Greek and Latin is the modern European Christian tradition
when it comes to Hebrew, including how the letters were pronounced.
European scholars may have been influenced by their exposure to Greek and
Latin. But to subsume everyone under that "we" may be a bit of a stretch.

Kevin Riley

Greek,
> > Latin, etc.
> >

> Agreed.
>

> > Some in this group (including myself) know Hebrew through Hebrew. Not
> > through Greek, not through Latin, not through any translation of Latin.
> >

> > And while my Hebrew is probably not pronounced exactly like the Hebrew
> > spoken in Biblical times or when the Hebrew Bible was written, my
knowledge
> > is not based on Greek, etc. but on the Hebrew that was passed from
> > generation to generation.
> >

> Now I really don't think you can substantiate that statement. What you
> have just said is like a Creole speaking pigeon English to claim that
> they have received English passed down from generation to generation
> and thus perfectly understands and reads Beowulf in its original
> language.
>
> The simple facts of the matter are that Hebrew is a dead language. If
> I choose a dead language and a group of friends to revive it with that
> does not make it a language that never died and has been passed down
> to us with unbroken tradition through the generations.
>
> Most of what we can confirm about the meanings of Hebrew words comes
> to us through our (collective) knowledge knowledge of the language it
> was transmitted through, using context where it helps and as a last
> resort the analysis of cognates.
>

> > I believe that knowledge of ancient Greek is probably helpful in order
> > understand certain aspects of ancient Hebrew (as it was expressed in
LXX),