b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] questions, reliable evidence, 'stand' and 'said'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] questions, reliable evidence, 'stand' and 'said'
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 08:01:22 -0700

Dear Rolf,

You did not answer the following question about which is perfective and which
is
imperfective in the following texts:

2Chr 20:20 uve-tset-am `amad Yhoshafat vayyomer . . .
and while they were going out (to the wilderness) Yoshafat
took a stand and said . . .
2 Samuel 20:11 and 12 is a similar use of `amad, and Rolf will
be happy that these are a 'suffix-TAM' verb.
2 Ki 2:7 fifty prophets halxu vayya`amdu went and stood from
afar and the two of them `amdu stood/stopped at the Jordan.

How is "amad used as perfective and/or imperfective in the above texts in
context?

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III