b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Survey Question about use of Biblical Hebrew in class

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Survey Question about use of Biblical Hebrew in class
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:34:15 -0400

At 11:58 AM 6/14/2009, you wrote:

I doubt you will find any. There are practical reasons, like pronunciation of words. Many sounds like a dagesh on a gimel, which were used at one time are not differentiated as they were in the past. (I believe the Yemenites still do.)

More practically, in real Biblical Hebrew, how could a student say 'The dog ate my homework' or the teacher, 'I left my notes for the lecture on the bus.' The vocabulary is quite limited. Also the limited tenses, might make conversation a bit difficult.