b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Survey Question about use of Biblical Hebrew in class

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Eric Inman" <eric-inman AT comcast.net>
  • To: "'Randall Buth'" <randallbuth AT gmail.com>, "'Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Survey Question about use of Biblical Hebrew in class
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 14:08:35 -0500

I would hesitate to take a such class for reasons similar to your number 3.
I'm not sure that it's possible to have conversations today in authentic BH,
and it's not entirely due to vocabulary issues. I think there are
differences between a conversational language and a written one, even when
conversations are represented in writing, especially in a literary work.
Therefore I'm not sure we know what conversational BH is, and, at the level
of marking nuances, emphasis, etc., I would feel I was learning an
artificial language. I feel that conversational language tends to evolve
fairly quickly, so I would be concerned about developing the wrong reflexes
to the language.

This is pretty much the same issue I recently asked about on the B-Greek
list.

I'm not saying these problems would outweigh the benefits of such a class.
Rather they are concerns which make me hesitant about the idea.

Reason 2 might also hold, but I haven't checked to find out.

Eric Inman