b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] When did classical Hebrew cease to be understood?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Bowick <james AT bowick.com>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] When did classical Hebrew cease to be understood?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:39:51 -0400

An interesting question. While it of course never did become unintelligble,
your question talks about changes in the language. I would think Classical
Hebrew is as understandible today as King James English. Which leads to a
way to get at your question. Today, modern readers, while able to
understand the King James, sometimes misunderstand it without knowing
because of semantic shift in words over time. (One person told me in all
sincerity that Jesus healed the bends, because the King James Bible said he
healed "divers diseases" not knowing of spelling shifts in English over 400
years). I would suggest that one can argue that intelligibility declined at
the point when the literature gives interpretations of passages that reflect
usages of the Hebrew words at odds with Classical usage, but consistent with
usage comporary to the text. I have done no studies to look for such
readings, nor am I aware of any, but it is a method that could be used to
test for declining intelligibility.

James Bowick