b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Phonetics of Ayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Phonetics of Ayin
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 03:47:39 +0300

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Jim Stinehart wrote:

> We’re all learning a lot from your linguistic analysis of the name “Tyre”.
>  But I think you’re missing how the Bible treats Tyre.

No, Jim. You are forcing your reading on the text here.

The word for Tyre and the word for rock are the same. The two
pronunciations are in fact by-forms of each other. We see the
vocalization with an -o- in Exodus 4:25.

It is clear that you have now ignored the linguistic evidence
knowingly. You asked a question, I answered, and you go on
ignoring those parts of the answer that are uncomfortable
to you. So there's no point going on in this.

Yitzhak Sapir