b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Nahar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Mark Spitsbergen <awakesd AT mac.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Nahar
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 16:02:37 -0700

In my search to understand a little more about the origins of the Hebrew language I have been pondering the geographical location of Avram's hometown. One of the points that seems most relavent to understanding the location of Avram's hometown Ur, is the meaning of "east of the river"- b(ever hannahar or as is it reads in the LXX- peran tou potamou "beyond the river" (Joshua 24:2,3,14,15). In that nahar is shared by Hebrew, Ugaritic, Aramaic, Arabic and Akkadian surely it is an unmistakable expression defining a "river". Should I believe that this "river" is the Jordan or must we conclude that it is the Euphrates? As I understand it the Nile would not be classified as a nahar but a ye)or . However, the Euphrates is called a nahar perat or simply nahar- "the river," while, as far as I understand the Jordan is never referred to as a "nahar." If this is true then Ur has to be on the otherside of the Euphrates, correct? Any help here would be valued.

thanks,

Mark Spitsbergen