b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Phonetics of Ayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Phonetics of Ayin
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 13:37:22 +1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time)

Jim

You are jumping to conclusions again. The use of double vowels to represent
long vowels is not uncommon when transcribing Arabic. It is also not
uncommon to see Arabic from Syria and Lebanon transcribed according to
French spelling. That explains 'S'uur' and 'Sour'. In both cases what is
being indicated is a long /U/, not two vowels. While the same long /U/ is
represent by W in Hebrew, it is not always so and the vowel can simply be
omitted.

Scholars are unsure of the exact feature represented by emphatic consonants.
Arabic and Aramaic dialects tend to use pharyngealisation, Ethiopian
dialects use glottalisation. There are also instances of laryngealisation
and velarisation. Most assume glottalisation was the original feature, but
that can only ever remain a theory unless we do develop time machines, or
find recordings taken thousands of years ago that we can find a way of
playing. I don't expect either to happen in my life time, so every
conclusion about early Hebrew and proto-Semitic can be answered with 'but it
is only a theory', and people can continue to believe in positions for which
there is no evidence.

I think someone has already pointed out that 'ideal spelling' was probably a
foreign concept for most people throughout history - even the concept of
correct' spelling had a hard time being established.

Kevin Riley