b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Nahar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nahar
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 23:35:34 +0200

Dear James,

You cite "Tradition" as if there is only one, authoritive tradition, and the
burden of proof lies with anyone who disagrees. As far as I know, this is a
local tradition which the people of Urfa encouraged in order to attract
tourists and pilgrims. Since, as I admitted before, there is some logic to
it, some modern scholars have accepted it or parts of it. But really how old
is the tradition? When is it first attested? I have never really looked into
it, and would be glad to hear from someone who has.

Yigal Levin