b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards: Rolling hills

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards: Rolling hills
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 18:11:49 +0300

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 3:16 AM, K Randolph wrote:
> Stephen:
>
> What we have is a person who wants to rewrite history to fit his personal
> theories.
>
> The source of the English term is recognizable to a seafaring people. The
> waves roll, are in motion—so when hills are viewed that appear similar to
> waves, the similarity is noted. But the ancient Semites for the most part
> were land people, would they have noted the similarity to waves? I doubt it.

Karl, are you sure you're the person who talk about "rewriting history to fit
someone's personal theories"?

The NWS nations who were settled at the coast of the Levant utilized ships.
The Phoenicians are recognized ship builders, and ships have been found
off the coasts of Israel and Lebanon. In Jerusalem, we have bullae and
seals with ships imprinted on them, dating to the 9th century BCE. Even
Solomon is said to have built a harbor and ships and to have participated in
Phoenician trade (1 Ki 9:26, 10:22).

Yitzhak Sapir