b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards: Rolling hills

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] theories and standards: Rolling hills
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 17:16:25 -0700

Stephen:

What we have is a person who wants to rewrite history to fit his personal
theories.

The source of the English term is recognizable to a seafaring people. The
waves roll, are in motion—so when hills are viewed that appear similar to
waves, the similarity is noted. But the ancient Semites for the most part
were land people, would they have noted the similarity to waves? I doubt it.

He refuses to acknowledge that ancient Canaan included a southern area that
was a fertile savanna, where grain crops could be grown. Historical
references date from the Early Bronze Age when Abraham lived, to as late as
the seventh century BC Iron Age. He wants to relocate the Early Bronze Age
town of Gerer, that apparently was destroyed sometime between when the
Patriarchs lived and the invasion of Canaan under Joshua, from that fertile
south to upper Galilee.

Karl W. Randolph.