b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Genesis 36 and Genesis 36:9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Genesis 36 and Genesis 36:9
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 21:50:02 +0100

Hi Karl,

don't mean to drag the whole TLDTH thing up again but...

I've been rereading a lot of Genesis (yet again) both in Hebrew and Greek because of the many recent discussions we've had that touch on it. (does anybody know of reliable Syriac and Coptic versions that I can view online?)

Anyway, I noticed that Genesis 36:9 mentions another TLDTH of Esau after already having had one at Genesis 36:1. I was just wondering how you viewed this. Do you view this as the footer of another document of Esau or just a part of the document of Jacob?

Another thing I noticed was Genesis 36:31

Now these are the kings who reigned in the land of EĀ“dom before any king reigned over the sons of Israel

This is pretty much repeated word for word in Chronicles 1:43. Obviously, this verse is problematic for the likes of you and I who view the torah as an ancient document. I see 2 possibilities here:

1) This is a late interpolation by somebody after there had been a King in Isreal
2) Moses the prophet, with foreknowledge that there would be a king in Isreal, wrote these words

Possibility 2 is unlikely, as the torah would read strange for anyone reading it pre monarchy.

Any thoughts?

James Christian

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.