b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a holy language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a holy language
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 02:52:32 -0700

Petr:

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:13 PM, Petr Tomasek <tomasek AT etf.cuni.cz> wrote:

> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 08:58:31AM -0700, K Randolph wrote:
> > James:
> >
> > On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:20 AM, James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > It does raise interesting linguistic questions about what language
> > > they likely spoke in different periods of their wanderings:
> > >
> > > a) while in Canaan before the slavery
> >

> > What evidence do we have of Canaanite language from the early bronze age?
> As
> > far as I know, the only evidence that survives to this day is Genesis.
>
> Huh! What evidence do we have of Genesis comming from the early bronze age?

What sort of question is this? The text of Tanakh is evidence. Whether you
trust it or not is a different matter. Further, the sentence I wrote above
does not specifically claim that Genesis is from the early bronze age,
rather that Genesis is the only historical record that gives any indication
of the language of early bronze age Canaan.

The claims of Tanakh: Solomon started building the temple 490 years after
the Exodus, which was 430 years (LXX) or 645 years (MT) after the promise
given to Abraham. That puts Abraham in the early bronze age.

Karl W. Randolph.