b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a holy language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew as a holy language
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 12:18:54 +0100

As a venture to start answering them we see that Abraham seems to have no problem communicating when he goes to Egypt. That seems to suggest one of the following possibilities to me:

1) Abraham's first language was the same as the language spoken in Egypt at the time
2) Their languages were so similar that they could get by without having use an agreed second language
3) Abraham, the traveller, was multilingual and spoke Egyptian as a second language (not difficult for him to learn because of its similarities)

James Christian

Quoting George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>:

A very good set of questions, Sarah! A lot of work has been done on most of them, but to my knowledge there is no real synthesis or consensus. That's opportunity for further investigation and processing.

Glad to see that I'm not the only early riser on the list (or are you actually a night owl?).

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au