b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Genesis 38 and the TLDTH theory

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Read <J.Read-2 AT sms.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Genesis 38 and the TLDTH theory
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 17:01:11 +0100

Hi,

out of the recent discussions about Karl's TLDTH theory we have heard that Genesis 37 to the end of Genesis is just a story about Joseph with no further significance. It has been suggested that Joseph is the author of this document as his name is mentioned both at the beginning and at the end.

I am wondering how Genesis 38 fits with hypothesis. Genesis 38 is a story which Joseph could not have been an eyewitness of, having been sold into slavery. Genesis 38 is all about the events that led up to Judah becoming father to Perez and how Perez got out first before his twin brother who had already stuck his hand out.

By stroke of absolute coincidence Perez also happens to be an ancestor of David. Are we still seeing no bigger picture to this account?

James Christian

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.