b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ancient transliterations of names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ancient transliterations of names
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:24:17 +1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)

I am not sure anyone yet has that understanding. If they do, they have not
yet shared it with us lesser mortals. While popular texts present the
situation as basically one of there being three discrete systems, the
reality is much messier once you start looking deeper, and so much depends
on correctly placing and dating the system used in various manuscripts. I
find the story of the development of the systems and their influence on each
other fascinating, but it is easy to get lost in the details. If anyone
were to write up the history of each, I would certainly be willing to read
it. I have been re-reading Saenz-badillos' work and found the section on
Samaritan Hebrew (which I tended to skip or read through quickly in former
readings) interesting and when I get time must find some articles to bring
the story up to today. I may even stumble upon information about other
systems while doing so :)

Kevin Riley