b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ancient transliterations of names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred putnam <fred.putnam AT gmail.com>
  • To: yodan AT yodanco.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ancient transliterations of names
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:55:23 -0400

Dear Rivkah,

Yes, you have understood us correctly: LXX and Vulgate both support the
"long-o" pronunciation of the first vowel in the name of Ruth's
mother-in-law.

Sorry that we [I, at least] were obscure.

Best wishes.

Fred

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Yodan <yodan AT yodanco.com> wrote:

> Yitzhak and Fred, thank you for the responses.
>
> I'd like to rephrase my question a bit. I'm trying to find out if an
> ancient (pre-Tiberian vocalization) pronunciation of the name of Ruth
> mother-in-law had an OH vowel sound as the vowel of NUN. This is as opposed
> to an AH vowel sound.
>
> My focus is not long vs. short vowels/sounds, but the actual vowel-sound.
>
> What I'm referring to as OH is the O in Ohel (=tent) or Kodesh (=holiness),
> not like the way the Tiberians pronounced a Kamatz (sort of like AW in
> Awesome).
>
> Based on both your answers it seems to me that an ancient pronunciation was
> indeed with an OH sound.
>
> Do you agree or disagree - and why? And any other responses are welcome.
>
> Thanks and best.
>
> Rivka Sherman-Gold, Ph.D.
>

> *********************************
> YODAN Publishing
> P.O. Box 60655
> Palo Alto, CA 94306-0655
> 650-494-6994
> Rivka AT Yodanco.com

"We are not yet what we already are" (J. Pieper).

215-393-9683 (home)
www.fredputnam.org (website)

Frederic Clarke Putnam | Faculty
Philadelphia Biblical University | 200 Manor Avenue | Langhorne, PA
19047-2990
http://pbu.edu | 1215-702-4502 | Fax: 1-215-702-4533