b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 74, Issue 24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Bekins <pbekins AT fuse.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 74, Issue 24
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:41:21 -0500

David wrote:

Of course, as I've stated previously, the verbal plurality function of the Piel I take as one of its functions, with a resultative/ causative/estimative function of (generally) stative verbs being its other main function, as Jenni and others have shown.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

The qal, hifil, and piel themes are also used as denominatives. Jenni and Ryder seem to disagree as to whether the piel as a denominative functions the same as it does when a factitive. Stuart Creason in his U Chicago dissertation _Semantic classes of Hebrew verbs_ deals with the denominative function briefly, but his focus is more on the relationship of the stems themselves. Do you know of any study that compares qal, piel, and hifil denominatives, either for Hebrew or Semitic in general, to see if there is any rhyme or reason for which types of noun prefer a certain binyan?

Peter Bekins