b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 74, Issue 24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 74, Issue 24
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:51:30 +1100

And here was my reply:

Hi Fred,

Not sure if you were meaning to send this privately or not; I'll keep it
private in case.

That is another good question. In terms of Hebrew or Semitic
linguistics, I very much doubt that the question is addressed. Certainly
it wouldn't be in any depth.

Cross-linguistically, the category of "verb" and the category of "noun"
may generally be discernible, although any one language's
parts-of-speech may have a distribution that is smaller or wider than
another language's (see esp. Croft's _Radical Construction Grammar_). It
is the category of "adjective" which is very tricky to isolate
cross-linguistically (see Stassen's _Intransitive Predication_).

So since "noun" and "verb" are reasonably basic to language
cross-linguistically (I realise generativists will state this much
stronger than I), denominativization vis-a-vis deverbalization is likely
to be a complex question to address. I wish I had time to do some
research to see if anyone treats your important question satisfactorily.
I checked Lehmann's book on grammaticalization just now hoping there
might be something, but no luck.

Regards,
David.

Peter & David (et al.),

I have often wondered about this: how can we know that a verb is denominative rather than the noun being deverbal? I have read a fair amount of theoretical and historical linguistics (Hebrew and general), but never seen this discussed.

It seems that the theory of denominativization assumes that nouns precede verbs in the development of a language; has this ever been demonstrated?

I'm not arguing against it, just wondering how sure we can be that things worked/happened this way.

Peace.

Fred

P.S. My students had just read the chapter on the piel, and one asked (to general head-nodding), "So what difference does this make, anyway? I mean, why does it really matter that we know that these verbs are piel, since they just sound normal?" A very interesting discussion ensued, as you might imagine.