b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax and creation in Gen 1:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jason Hare <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax and creation in Gen 1:1
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 07:01:21 +0200

James,

Actually, Rashi suggests a reading of בְּרֹא B.:RO) -- in which BR) is
an infinitive construct within a three-noun chain: בְּרֵאשִׁית בְּרֹא
אֱלֹהִים B.:R")$IYT B.:RO) ):ELOHIYM -- "in the beginning of Elohim's
creating the heavens and the earth," etc. This is much better, in my
opinion, than your proposition that it read as a participle, yet it
yields the same understanding (I think) as that which you're trying to
achieve. Is there any other occurrence of BR)$YT being followed by a
participle and then by the subject of the clause? I really don't think
so. But, being followed by a construct chain is perfectly natural for
this introductory particle.

Regards,
Jason Hare