b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Can absence of evidence be evidence of absence?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Can absence of evidence be evidence of absence?
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 17:36:19 -0800

Gabe:

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Gabe Eisenstein <gabe AT cascadeaccess.com>wrote:

> Karl wrote:
>
> >Where do you get your figures? [regarding population of northern Israel]
>
> See "The Bible Unearthed" (Finkelstein) p.193.
> For number of deportees see Sargon's monument in British Museum.

And where does he get his figures from? Pull them out of the air? (I'm not
arguing with Sargon)

> > > 2Kings17: 18 "... there was NONE LEFT (lo nisha'ar) but Judah alone"
> >This is a mistranslation. Go back to the Hebrew.
>
> Gladly! I'm here to learn. Please translate it correctly for me...
> WYSRM M)L PNYW L( NS(R RQ SB+ YHWDH LBDW

You left out the word "tribe" indicating that they ceased to be a recognized
political entity. That is not the same as complete depopulation.

Go to Jeremiah and the end of Kings, note how they emphasize total
depopulation. Are the same terms used here?

> > > 2Kings17:20 "And Yahweh rejected ALL THE SEED OF ISRAEL (kol zera'
> > > yisra'el), and delivered them into the hand of spoilers, until He had
> > > cast them out of His sight."
> >Again you are adding to the text. As written, it doesn't support your
> claim.
>
> It's amazing that by quoting KJV I am "adding to the text".

You have been on this list how long, and you still don't know that I don't
kowtow to any translation? Nor impressed by degrees and reputations?

> Please give me the correct translation of
> WYM(S YHWH BKL ZR) YSR(L

"and YHWH rejected all the seed of Israel." Again, where is total
deportation in this statement?

> >What are epicycles as applied to the text? What makes you think I am not
> >using the same standards for the Bible as I would apply to the Vedas,
> >Gilgamesh or the Book of Mormon?
>
> The "epicycle" I meant was the invention of a second group of people
> with the same name as the Philistines.

With ANE history being such a mess, how do you know that there was a major
migration of a people known as Philistine at about 1200 BC? What makes you
think they were Philistines?

> >How much of your logic is based on misreading the text, as in your
> example
> above?
>
> How many of your responses to other people come in the form of a
> tendentious question, in which you suggest things the speaker never
> intended or make unverified claims of your own?

Has it occurred to you that many of your statements come across as
unsupported and of dubious veracity? And you, who so prides himself on his
logic and intelligence, should not these questions be but child's play to
deal with?