b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] word-pairs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Bekins <pbekins AT fuse.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] word-pairs
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 07:08:15 -0500

Olivier,

There has been a lot of work on word pairs in Biblical Hebrew and Semitic. WGE Watson gives a short discussion with references in his _Traditional Techniques in Classical Hebrew Verse_, which you can find on Google books. See especially Yitshak Avishur's dissertation _Stylistic Studies of Word-Pairs in Biblical and Ancient Semitic literatures_(AOAT 210; Neukirchen Vluyn, 1984).

There are also many articles suggesting individual word-pairs. I would go to your favorite bibliographic search engine, ATLA, RAMBI, JSTOR, etc and start tracing them down.

Pete Bekins

What do you mean by "word pairs?" Do you mean words that are used in parallelism? There are many, many word pairs if that is what you mean.. You will not find a book on that I fear.

Lloyd Barré